In Brazil, software in general is protected by a specific law that grants rights to its authors. Moreover, the source code of software can be filed before the BPTO and this registration will be used as a proof of authorship. Thus, in the case of a conflict, such as a counterfeiting or even a title dispute, the registration of the program will serve as an evidence for a possible judicial dispute, considering that the registration is a necessary requirement for the participation in government bids.
At Tavares, before registering the code before the BPTO, our experts always check whether the software allows a process that can be protected by a specific patent, thus guaranteeing a more solid protection.
Our work in this field includes:
- Preparation of required documentation and selection of formal technical data;
- Registration before the BPTO for copyright protection;
- Monitoring of the process until the issue of the registration certificate;
- Licensing agreements, royalties, assignment and transfer of title;
- Legal consulting related to software protection;
- Elaboration and analysis of software licensing contracts, with or without technology transfer;
- Elaboration and analysis of development and distribution software contracts.
- Implementation of legal measures in the fight against infractions.